Taking Exams with the Royal Academy of Dance
"The RAD Syllabus is without doubt the most comprehensive and purest of the classical syllabi that is available to the teachers of today. Deceptively simple, but technically demanding, it challenges students of all levels..."
Artistic Director, Alabama Ballet
As an awarding body, the Royal Academy of Dance Examinations Board offers an internationally recognized portfolio of exams and assessments. These are designed to motivate and encourage students of all ages and levels of ability, through a systematic measurement of progress and attainment. Last year, over 230,000 students entered RAD exams worldwide. We offer examination programs to suit all, whether students are new to ballet or already have dance experience.
Students can only be entered for exams by a qualified Royal Academy of Dance Registered Teacher. To qualify for RAD RT status, teachers must complete one of the RAD's rigorous certification, BA or Master degree programs.
Our exams provide students with:
- an achievable goal to work towards
- recognition from the world's largest ballet examination board
- qualifications accredited by UK regulatory authorities
- the impetus to achieve their personal best in a fun and nurturing environment
- incorporate Ballet, Free Movement and Character
- include our innovative Pre-Primary in Dance and Primary in Dance syllabi
- are suitable for candidates from the age of 5
- include our Pre-School Dance Curriculum for candidates from the age of 2½
Vocational Graded exams:
- build on the elements covered in the Graded syllabus
- are intended for students who wish to pursue a career in dance
- are suitable for candidates from the age of 11 years
- include the prestigious Solo Seal Award - the highest Vocational Graded examination offered by the RAD, which focuses on solo performance